The curriculum and instruction at AGBU Vatche & Tamar Manoukian High School is designed to prepare students for higher education. All classes offered meet the "A-G" requirements for UC, CSU and private college/university admission.
Besides the core curriculum, admission to a university depends on factors such as: course choices, SAT scores, extra curricular activities, community service, and filing and meeting university deadlines. Each student at AGBU Vatche & Tamar Manoukian High School
has the opportunity to meet with the college counselor to begin exploring options and planning early.
The following presents admission requirements for UC and CSU. The table that follows indicates that AGBU Vatche & Tamar Manoukian High School
meets and exceeds those requirements.
University of California
has subject requirements referred to as "A-G" requirements:
A. History / Social Science: 2 Years Required
- Two years of history/social science, including one year of world history, cultures and geography; and one year of US history or one half year of US history and one half year of civics or American government.
B. English: 4 Years Required
- Four years of college preparatory English that include frequent and regular writing, and reading of classic and modern literature. No more than one year of ESL-type courses can be used to meet this requirement.
C. Mathematics: 3 Years Required, 4 Years Recommended
- Three years of college-preparatory mathematics that includes the topics covered in elementary and advanced algebra and two- and three-dimensional geometry. Approved integrated math course many be used to fulfill part of all of this requirement, as may math courses taken in the seventh and eighth grades that your high school accepts as equivalent to its own math course.
D. Laboratory Science: 2 Years Required, 3 Years Recommended
- Two years of laboratory science providing fundamental knowledge in two if these three foundational subjects: biology, chemistry or physics. Advanced laboratory science classes that have biology, chemistry or physics as prerequisites and offer substantial additional material may be used to fulfill this requirement. The final two years of an approved three-year integrated science program may be used to fulfill this requirement.
E. Language other than English: 2 years required, 3 years recommended.
- Two years of the same language other than English. Courses should emphasize speaking and understanding, and include instruction in grammar, vocabulary, reading, composition and culture. Courses in languages other than English taken in the seventh and eight grades may be used to fulfill part of this requirement if your high school accepts them as equivalent to its own courses.
F. Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) : 1 year required
- A single yearlong approved arts course from a single VPA discipline: dance, drama/theater, music or visual arts.
G. College Preparatory Electives: 1 year required
- One year (two semesters), in addition to hose required in "a-f" above, chosen from the following areas: visual and performing arts (non-introductory level courses), history, social science, English, advanced mathematics, laboratory science and language other than English (a third year in the language used for the "e" requirement or two years of another language).
California State University
A. English: 4 years
B. Mathematics: 3 years
C. US History or US History and Government: 1 Year
D. Laboratory Science (biology, chemistry, physics or other acceptable laboratory science): 2 years
E. Modern Languages: 2 years in same language
F. Visual and Performing Arts: 1 year of same type of art
G. Electives: 1 year
Private Colleges and Universities
Requirements for private college vary from one institution to another. In order to find out more about each specific private institution, students can consult the Internet, visit the university or talk to the school college counselor.
Note: All students have an opportunity to visit a university campus each year as a class.
Comparison between Requirements UC, Cal State, and AGBU Vatche & Tamar Manoukian High School
| Subject || University of California || California State University || AGBU Vatche & Tamar |
Manoukian High School
| English || 4 years || 4 years || 4 years |
| Mathematics || 3* || 3 || 4 |
| History || 2 || 1 || 4 |
| Laboratory Science || 2* || 2 || 3 |
| Foreign Language || 2* || 2 || 4 |
| Visual Performing Arts || 1 || 1 || 1 |
| Elective Courses || 1 || 1 || 4 |
* Extra year recommended by university.