Definition of Community Service
AGBU Vatche and Tamar Manoukian High School defines community service as
- Delivered directly to constituents of a charitable organization registered with the Internal Revenue Service as a “not for profit” institution or organization or participation in a project sponsored by such an organization
- Provided to at least one person, other than the student and/or the student’s relative, and benefiting the “community at large”
- Performed without compensation to the student
- NOT mandated by a court of law
Each student’s community service must
- Follow the spirit outlined in the definition
- Be voluntary without pay
- Be performed by the individual student
- Be associated with an IRS-registered “not-for-profit” organization (or activity)
- Be performed in the presence of another person (other than a student’s relative)
Each AGBU MHS student is required to
- Perform a minimum of 20 hours of community service per year. (Service hours above the required amount cannot be counted towards the following year’s requirements, although extra hours will be counted and documented.)
- Complete each year’s 20 community service hours by the last full day of the school year. Hours volunteered over the summer will be credited toward the next school year.
- Submit proposals for new community service opportunities outside of the school community on an AGBU Vatche and Tamar Manoukian High School Community Service Proposal Form to the Dean of Students for an authorized signature, at least 14 days prior to the actual service. The Dean of Students will notify the student of whether the project is approved.
- Submit the number of hours served on a Verification Form to the Dean of Students within 30 days after the service has been completed. Verification forms for community service performed over the summer must be turned in within 30 days from the start of the first day of school. If a student is involved in a long-term project and elects to turn in paperwork at the completion of the hours, he/she should make prior arrangements with the Dean of Students at the beginning of the project.
- Before submitting the Verification Form, all students are asked to keep a copy for their records.
- Maintain the same high level of behavior during community service that is expected at AGBU Vatche and Tamar Manoukian High School.
- Receive only one hour of credit for every hour he/she is physically volunteering.
Policies, Awards, Service-Learning, School Service
- Students may not include travel time in their service hour totals.
- An official from the community service organization (who must not be a relative of the student) must be present during the service. Students may not earn credit for unsupervised service at home (e.g., baking cookies or knitting scarves to donate).
- Students who participate in service that involves charity or fundraiser runs/walks may receive only up to four hours of community service per event.
- Students who donate blood or hair may receive only up to four hours of community service per year.
- Students in grades 9-11 who do not complete the required 20 hours of community service by the required deadline may face disciplinary action, which may include suspension.
- Students in grade 12 who do not complete the required 20 hours of community service by the required deadline may face disciplinary action and will not receive a diploma until these hours have been completed and approved.
Community Service is a graduation requirement. Students must complete a total of 80 service hours. Students must complete 20 service hours per year. If they do not complete their necessary service hours in the allotted time, an additional 20 service hours per year will be added to their total. Students must get the service hour form from the Dean of Students and turn in the completed form by the required date.
Proposal Form: The service must be proposed to the Dean of Students for approval. It must be submitted BEFORE the student attempts the service opportunity. This form is designed to ensure that the service opportunity conforms to AGBU Vatche and Tamar Manoukian High School’s definition of community service.
Verification Form: This form is submitted to the Dean of Students AFTER the student completes his/her service. The form must be completely filled and signed. Once reviewed and approved by the Dean of Students, the student's service hours are officially logged.
Community Service Forms:
A Few Places to Consider:
Glendale Adventist Medical Center
Volunteer Resources at 818-409-8057.
Huntington Memorial Hospital
For Youth Opportunities see orientation schedule online to get started.
Local public or private schools
Local public Libraries